Monday, December 5, 2011

SoCon Monster Game of the Week Review: Elon 80, UNCG 72

Elon came up with the win over the Spartans on Monday night. It was hard fought. The Phoenix jumped out to a thirteen point lead.

The Spartans came back. UNCG fought the entire night. Elon held on in the end.

I don't have access to a boxscore at this point, and I wasn't listening to the broadcast, so I didn't catch who everyone was that I thought was playing well, so I hate to throw things out there at this point. What I did notice was that I am growing more and more impressed with Elon's offense every time I watch them play. They are not just a team that is based on defense. They can play rough and tough defense, but they are also very efficient on offense.

I picked the Spartans to finish third in the North and Elon fifth in the preseason, thinking that the Spartans may be able to finish second, even. At this point, it is becoming increasingly clear to everyone that the Spartans are below the Phoenix in the standings. The Spartans are not likely to make it as high as third in the North (particularly since they are 0-3 against other North teams) and Elon has got to be considered the favorite to win the North at this point, and certainly the favorite to get one of the bye spots.

It's been a strange first month indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment