Monday, January 27, 2014

Mocs Making It Worthwhile

For the past five years, I have been writing this blog. The Mocs made the NCAA Tournament in 2008-09. I began writing this blog right at the beginning of the 2009-10 season, but did not make it through the season due to a lot commitments that I had that year. This is the fourth year I have been fully committed to this blog and have been writing to cover the games, etc.

Three years ago, the Mocs started 7-0 in SoCon play, and wound up finishing tied for the North Division title. But they were beaten in the first round of the SoCon Tournament by Furman in Chattanooga. Two years ago, the Mocs were predicted to win the SoCon Championship in the preseason. But the Mocs fell flat on their face and really were not good. Then, last year, the Mocs were rebuilding, and actually looked pretty good all things considered, but still were nowhere near ready to win a championship.

In other words, covering the Mocs over the previous seasons has been a bit like pulling teeth. I considered stopping the blog multiple times over the previous four years. It's been tough. I remember telling my wife multiple times, "I just want to cover the Mocs when they are good and have a good season."

The closest the Mocs have come to that was three years ago when they tied for the North Division title. They finished just 16-16 that year overall. That was the most wins they had during these previous four years.

It has not been the best. Not going to lie.

When the Mocs hired Will Wade this offseason, I had hope. I thought that possibly the Mocs were going to start finding ways to win. I thought maybe things were about to turn. I wasn't sure when it would be, but I figured it would come eventually.

When the season started 4-8, I was pretty sure I was in for another year like the previous years. I was hoping the Mocs would get it together. But I was trying not to get my hopes up.

As the Mocs have gone on a ten game winning streak, I have enjoyed writing this blog more than ever before. The Mocs are 14-8, six games over .500 for the first time in my blogging era. The Mocs have been rolling.

Not only have the fans been rolling into McKenzie (6648 showed up on Saturday), but my belief in the team has been rolling up. Do I think this team is destined to never lose another game on the way to the national title? No, of course not. The Mocs may not win the SoCon regular season title or the tournament title. I have no idea.

But one thing is for sure. I've enjoyed this ride. This ride is something I am thoroughly enjoying. On Thursday, we'll find out where the Mocs stand in relation to Davidson. Regardless of the outcome, it won't mean that something different can't happen in the SoCon Tournament.

The Mocs have never won a SoCon game in the last three days. Four years ago (after I stopped writing because of extra busy-ness), the Mocs did win one, but lost one in the SoCon Tournament. Can the Mocs finally get another SoCon Tournament win? Could the Mocs get to the NCAA Tournament?

Keep on believing everyone. This Mocs team is good and they are making college basketball season fun again.

GO MOCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment