Sunday, January 23, 2011

Furman 85, Chattanooga 59

I'm not going to lie. I don't want to write much about this game.

I didn't get to write yesterday- I had out of town guests this weekend, and was only able to listen to the game, but not write about it.

And the further away from the game I get, the less and less I want to write about it, and the more and more I just want to forget it ever happened.

Remember how I said Ricky Taylor, Keegan Bell, Omar Wattad, DeAntre Jefferson, and Chris Early had to play better? I think I was wrong. Jefferson did score 10 and collected eight rebounds, as the Mocs outrebounded the Paladins. But the other four combined for 26 points. Wattad scored just six, including going 0 for 10 from three point range.

Furman shot just under 50% from the field. Look- when the Mocs beat The Citadel, the Bulldogs shots 50% from the field, and I said that it was a bad sign. Others thought that we limited their number of shots so it didn't matter, but I was concerned by the fact that we let such a poor shooting team shoot so well, even if we kept their point total down.

Since that time, I think the facts have borne out that we should have been concerned by that. The Cougars, Terriers, and Paladins all shot very well from the floor, and all put up of 85 points. It's going to be hard to win games when teams are scoring over 85 points, especially when Wattad is really struggling like he did over the last two games.

Saffore deserves some credit, with his eleven points to lead the Mocs. But the Mocs are clearly in a funk again. The good news for the Mocs- the rest of the North got battered this weekend as well. The Mocs are now 7-2, and still two and a half games up on Western Carolina for first in the division. But they are three games up on Elon and Appalachian State, and three and a half games up on UNC-Greensboro. Elon and UNCG are at home on the next homestand with a real chance to cut into that lead.

The Mocs desperately need to get back home, get some rest and get back to the way they had been playing.

Where do the Mocs stand after Definition Week? It is just as muddled as ever. I said I would be very pleased with 1-2, but with the way the week started (beating College of Charleston) and the way ended (getting humiliated at Wofford and Furman) it is hard to be satisfied with this week.

The Mocs have a huge three game homestand, and then follow that up with three very tough road games that they need to perform better in, before they play Wofford and Furman at home again. The Mocs need to win at least one of those two games, and play close in the other one just to establish that they can before the tournament. The Mocs are not as bad as they have shown over the last two games- but they are not as good as they showed over the previous four either.

GO MOCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment