Friday, November 27, 2009

Post Game Shower- Texas-Pan America

Click on the title to be taken to the boxscore.

I've been struggling for the last few hours to come up with the words to express the frustration that I feel over losing this game.

This. Was. Humbling.

There's really no other way to put it. It's not that I thought we couldn't lose to the Broncos. I thought it was possible. But it's that I thought that we could come up with a way to score on them. We had a huge size advantage on them. Yet, for some reason, we couldn't score for most of the game against them. We didn't seem to be trying to pound it inside.

The foul trouble did not help matters any. In fact, it hurt matters drastically. But there are really just a few places to put this blame.

Focus. And hustle. We did not rebound well, especially given their size. We also did not shoot free throws well. That is a sign of lack of focus and lack of desire. The Broncos outrebounded the Mocs 45-38, after being outrebounded by double digits heading into the game. The Mocs had been shooting 74 percent from the free throw line, but only made 8 of 20 (40 percent) in this one.

(I know. I'm using "we" and some people don't like that. But sometimes I say we when talking positively, so I certainly don't want to stop using it now.)

Now, how carried away should we get with this? Let's remember- this bunch did beat East Tennessee State. Yes, the same Bucs team that beat College of Charleston, Appalachian State, and Arkansas. This team also has a world of injuries still. The team will look very different come January.

The Mocs have clearly not learned how to win away from home. That's something that takes time. This was a completely frustrating afternoon of basketball. I'd like to think that the Mocs can turn it around tomorrow afternoon at 12:30 against Longwood. But right now, I'm having a hard time imagining it.

If I'm looking for a bright spot, it was the first half stretch where Saffore came up with a couple of blocks and also came up with a basket. Also, DeAntre Jefferson scored 12 points with nine rebounds, and made 4 of 5 free throws.

Make no mistake- this one hurt.

LOOKING AHEAD

The Mocs will take on the Lancers in a battle of unusual team nicknames tomorrow afternoon. The Lancers are 0-6 on the season, but have played almost everyone close. The Mocs have played so poorly lately, they could desperately use just a nice solid performance. Hopefully, the focus and desire are there tomorrow afternoon. That's all I'm looking for at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment