Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Relief

Oh those crazy Mocs!

After last season, when it seemed like the Mocs couldn't hold a lead or win a close game to save their lives, the Mocs are due for some breaks this year.

Of course, they may not come. The Mocs are so much younger than they were a year ago, that there is a lot of thought that they will really struggle this year. They won't even be able to keep it close.

Count me among those that is more optimistic than that.

Last year's team was senior laden before the season- with Omar Wattad, Keegan Bell, Ricky Taylor, Chris Early, and Jahmal Burroughs on the roster, this team should have known how to win. The problem? It all started with a team that looked out of it at times, and appeared to not always do what Coach Shulman asked them to do. Then came Chris Early getting suspended and later booted from the team for his Twitter problems. That really changed the entire look of the season. Burroughs took his place....and Burroughs was great, the heart and soul of the team in a lot of ways, but the team needed more production from the other seniors, who sometimes insisted on firing threes instead of pounding the ball inside.

So, yes, there were problems with the club last year. Between chemistry and a bit of panic that sunk in as the dreary season wore on, the team just wasn't right.

This year's team may have many of those same problems. Who is to say that Cobb, Robertson, McGhee, and Jones won't insist on jacking up threes instead of getting the ball inside to Zlovaric and Mason? Who is to say Lance Stokes, Jared Bryant and Rico White won't carry over some of the attitude from last year?  What about Dontay Hampton's injury? Will that break this team?

Personally, I think that the freshman show a lot of promise. Maybe it is drinking this water here in Kentucky, where I live, but I think the freshman can be successful if put in the right situations. Do I have confidence in this team? More than you might think. The closer I get to the season, the more I think that the Mocs will be able to survive this year and finish in the top half of the conference. I think the youthful attitude will take over the team, and if the guys from last year don't get on board, there are (mostly) people to replace them. (Sorry Bryant, Zlovaric, and Mason- there doesn't seem to be much room for you three to get a break....unless we want to go back to the days of starting Sam Watson and Drew Baker- which if those two are both starting would not spell good news for the Mocs situation this year.)

I know- I'm drinking the kool-aid. I'm excited about the season. I'm excited to see the young guys. Last year was a drag to watch, because everyone was leaving after the year and there was the sense that the whole thing was slipping away. This year, there will be hope for better days in the future, even if there are lots of losses along the way. This year will be so much more enjoyable just for that reason. I can't tell you the relief that I feel just from that alone. It will be so nice to just sit back and enjoy the year and the process a little bit more. Yes, I know there will be a lot of debate on the Mocs message board throughout the year about job security and things of the like. I find myself unconcerned about those discussions. Why? Because it's not my decision, it will take care of itself one way or the other, and this year ought to be a process that will be fun to watch.

What a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment