Monday, October 15, 2012

And So It Begins.....

Welcome back, basketball!

You're an old friend that I have been missing.

Yes, I know that I abandoned you after last year. I needed some time away. Some time to think. Some time to analyze my feelings. I had had so much upset caused by the disaster that was the Mocs 2011-12 basketball season. Lots of losses. Lots of CLOSE losses. Lots of hopes being gotten up only to be dashed.

Not to mention, I had been writing on the internet (between my football stuff I do elsewhere and this blog) for seven months on a daily basis. It made me tired. I needed some time away from writing. Some time to spend with my growing family. Some time to read books (hard to believe, but I went back and read a bunch of young adult books I had never read- Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Hobbit).

So I returned to covering football on a smaller scale in August. And it felt good. I have debated whether or not to return quite as hard to covering you on this blog. But I have slowly been wanting to. Then I would feel the feeling wane a bit. But then it would come back stronger than ever.

The problem is, dear friend, that writing about you can be so exhausting. After spending hours dedicated to listening to/watching/attending a game, it is hard to then return and cover it in earnest.

This year may be even more difficult, as my wife is expecting another child to come our way in January. So how am I supposed to devote my time to you right in the heart of conference play...and yet take away time?

Well, I guess we'll worry about that when we get there, won't we? We'll get there eventually. We aren't there yet.

A season if full of ups and downs. There are ebbs and flows. I eagerly look forward to all of them.

Let's talk briefly about the Mocs. I'd like it if you would smile kindly on them. Please. This year. Since you clearly did not last year.

But this year, there is youthful exuberance that comes from never having ever played a college game. And there is youthful hope. Farad Cobb is almost guaranteed a starting spot at point guard. As a true freshman.  Eric Robertson and Gee McGhee also could find their way into the starting lineup at various points. Also true freshman. What is this- Kentucky?

How about the Z Men in the frontcourt- Drazen Zlovaric and Z Mason? Possibly the best frontcourt in the entire SoCon. They will be the solid points on this team. If Cobb can get them the ball and if there can be any three point shooting, then the Z Men should excel.

Lots of ifs. Lots of buts. Going to Kansas in the second game is going to hurt people.

There is some excitement. I'm beginning to feel it.

Yes, basketball. You're back. Welcome back, old friend! I'm glad you're here again. I've missed you.

1 comment: