Thursday, August 4, 2011

X is Xed

OK- so I know this is old news now, but I should still give my reaction to it.

Xavian Rimmer will not be attending Chattanooga next year, rather going to Alcorn State. Rimmer was released from his scholarship when it appeared that he may not pass the Clearinghouse.

This one hurts some. It's not as bad as Ochenje leaving- except for that in some ways it is.

Rimmer was the point guard of the future. Now that role falls to either Rico White (who did not play point guard in high school) or Bareika. Yes, Hampton is still around, and he could be the starter in 2012-13, but I think everyone should realize that Hampton's role is probably better served as a back-up- possibly a prominent one, but a back up none the less.

Rimmer was going to get playing team this year, almost guaranteed. Now, he's not here. This is very disappointing. He had a chance to be very good. He could become a star at Alcorn State. Yes, Alcorn State is a step down from the Mocs- maybe not a huge step, but a step.

Bareika will play a bigger role than ever this year, now. I was hoping he would be the back-up two guard, but I think his role now is entirely as the back-up point guard. He and Hampton will split some time there.

I wish Xavian nothing but the best. This is a huge moment for Bareika- and to a lesser degree Hampton. They need to step up. I think they can. Bareika's reported athleticism could be a major boost to the team.

We'll miss Rimmer. No doubt. Hopefully, someone else can step up.

As for what this means- well, it's messy. Ochenje and Rimmer now are both gone. Is this a problem in the way Shulman is signing recruits? Is this that commonplace? I think there is a slightly disturbing trend here. I'm willing to give Shulman the benefit of the doubt here that this can happen, but I am bothered. No question.

The good news is that all the other freshman have already reported to campus and are taking summer classes. So we shouldn't have any more surprises before the start of the season.

Please?

GO MOCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment