Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Stokes Bred Well

Click here for the full story.

GoMocs.com is running a weekly series on each of the newcomers to the Mocs roster this year. Each week, when the story posts on Monday, I will give my reaction to each player, and give my opinion on how much they will contribute in 2011-12.

What did I get from this story? Lance Stokes father played in the NFL. His siblings are all getting recruited to play high-major, BCS-level sports. And Lance chose Chattanooga.

This has it's positives, of course. This means that he is (for lack of a better term) "well-bred." He will be a tremendous asset with his athletic skills. If you have watched any of his highlight reel plays, there is no mistaking that. He is going to be an athletic 3 or 4.

Really, I see Stokes as more of a 3 in my mind's eye. Maybe it's just me, but I think he fits in nicely as a back-up this year to Taylor and Wattad, or fitting into the rotation of 4's.

Stokes sounds like he is kind of a quiet kid, who keeps things to himself. He does not want to be known for what his father did on the football field- he wants to be known for what he does on the basketball court. That is a good attitude to bring to the table.

I give him a better than 60% chance of playing this year. He may need to grow into his body a little bit, but my bet is that his talent is just too high to leave off the court this year. He'll bring athleticism and size to the table that Coach Shulman won't be willing to leave on the bench for this year. Because this is the year. This is the year that the Mocs need to make a big run. Stokes can be a major contributor in that. Even this year. Even as a back-up.

Look for him to be one of the real stars of the 2012-13 Mocs, and a very nice back-up for this year's team, if he gets the chance to play. My gut feeling tells me that either Brown or Stokes gets redshirted, while the other plays. We'll have to let it play out and see if that is accurate.

GO MOCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment