Monday, August 1, 2011

Bryant A Big Part Of The Future

Click here for full story on GoMocs.com.

GoMocs.com is running a weekly series on each of the newcomers to the Mocs roster this year. Each week, when the story posts on Monday, I will give my reaction to each player, and give my opinion on how much they will contribute in 2011-12.

If Jared Bryant is as good as Nicchaeus Doaks, I think Moc fans will be very pleased. Bryant has the body type of Doaks, and has been hailed as a great rebounder ever since he came on board with the program.

Clearly, this kid has upside. Shulman noted that he can play outside or on the block. What the Mocs don't need is another Chris Early- a three trying to play at the four spot. (That is not a knock on Early- he's a solid player, but it has long been my belief that he is better suited to play the three spot rather than the four.) But Doaks was not that kind of player (even if he did have aspirations of winning a three point shooting contest every now and then). Doaks was a force inside, especially when he played focused.

Bryant can be that kind of player. He has the body type to be a dominant player in the post for these Mocs. He is 6-7, which is not supremely tall, but he is 234 pounds, which is more than big enough to bang around with the big boys of the SoCon. Just ask Noah Dahlman. Hopefully, he can shoot free throws consistently, because that plagued Doaks at times.

I lean towards Bryant redshirting this year. I think there is about a 25% chance that he contributes this year. The reason for that is this- with Mason, Early, Zlovaric, and Burroughs all eligible to play right at the 4 and 5 spots, I'm not sure Bryant has enough minutes to justify playing him this year. Early and Burroughs will be gone after this year, and then Bryant (a year old, stronger, and maybe even an inch or two taller) can come in and contribute in a big way.

If Bryant does play, I would expect him to take a large chunk of Burroughs minutes. It would be Zlovaric, Mason, Early, and Bryant rotating around the four and five spots, with Burroughs getting the mop up minutes that a guy like a Sam Watson would have gotten if he were not injured. That is how this looks to me from where I'm sitting.

I see Bryant as invaluable in the years after this year, even though I anticipate him spending this year redshirting. He should be a really nice piece to the puzzle beginning next year.

GO MOCS!

No comments:

Post a Comment